Wednesday, February 15, 2012

46/366: Children's Artwork into Plushies

If you are like this mom, you get plenty of drawings of monsters and dragons and turtles and Star Wars battles.

Monday night, yes, the eve of Valentine's day, I was hopping from toy store to toy store in search of plush turtles.  My boys have a fondness for those turtles, even though their father recently shared the 'turtles have bacteria' information.  Now, you say "turtle" and they say "bacteria".  Kind of like a football cheer.

When I realized the turtle plushie market had been tapped in this area, my mind began doing what my mind does often.  It starts to roll and build and imagine.  It's like a snowball going down a mountain, with me inside.  Sometimes, I just can't help myself.  And besides, I'm the world's second best procrastinator behind my Dad.  Thoughts of turtles, small, pillow like, maybe puppet?  No, too hard.  Crochet?  Could I make enough crochet hexagons?  No.  Felt?  Do I have enough?  I do have the leftovers from Christmas plus that fleece.  Stop.  Shop at lunch tomorrow.  Decided.  I will buy them something.

I was cleaning up my studio (aka basement) and found some half done monster purses.  One was a purse that was just too big and clumsy.  I had reworked the handles twice and it still hadn't sold.  I had been thinking that it would be a cute pillow.  So, I rolled some batting I had to see what it would look like. 

Big Boy wanted it.  That is when the light bulb turned on.  That is the gift!  I'll make him a monster pillow.  I talked him into making his own drawing and we would work on them tomorrow when they got home from school.  BB spent a long time working on his picture.  Labeling all the colors, many, many colors.  Little Man got in on the fun and was drawing Darth Vader and light sabers (ugh) and I complemented him on it, because that is what Mom's do.  Creativity shall never be negative.

Once Little Man saw what BB had done, he needed to start over (yeah!).

It feels so good to make something that my boys' came up with.

And, do you think they liked them?  See for yourself.

No comments: