Sunday, September 4, 2011

Do SomeTHING: Day 4

I made a new dinner.

I came up with this one on my own:  Tacosanga.  Gluten Free and delicioso!  Well, if you like soft corn tortillas.  Tom's not a big fan of the soft corn shell.  If you are not gluten free, the flour shell would work well, too!

And watching your brand spanking new milestone birthday present while making dinner makes is so much more fun!

The only other problem is if you don't live near a Wegmans, you will have to improvise on the meat.  I used over 2 pounds of chicken tender pieces.  Cooked them in Wegmans Brand Fajita marinade with some added water to keep them soft.

I chopped the chicken into big chunks and added half can of black beans ('cause that's all I had in the fridge) and a bag of frozen corn. Mix 'er up!  See the can of Old El Paso enchilada sauce?  You could use that, but after smelling the sweet gold of the Fajita sauce, I tossed the whole can of enchilada sauce down the drain.  Just wasn't right.

Then the layering began.  I put a bit of salsa on the bottom so the shells wouldn't burn/stick.  Layer with shells, add meat, top with cheese and salsa, repeat.  The top layer I cut the shells into strips and made a messy pile.  Messy piles on top, mean crispy spots.  Then poured cheese all over that because that's how we roll.  If there isn't enough cheese, it isn't worth it.


 I had it in the fridge since the day before, heated it at 375 for 40 minutes or so.  Add a dollop of sour cream.  I enjoyed it.  I think it was a hit for others, as well.  Sorry, no final picture.  We were too hungry and it was so dang hot that in order to hold the camera to my head, I would have produced a litre of sweat.

I know you are thinking...but you just had the oven on for 40 minutes!  I know...I was a hot kitchen!  Luckily, we spent most our time outside in the sprinkler.


Do SomeTHING is a month long of creativity, project finishing, exploration, and imagination.  What was your THING for today?  Leave your link in the comments for us all to see.

No comments: