Friday, September 16, 2011

Do SomeTHING: Day 16

I cooked a real live dinner.

One that isn't thrown together at 4:55 pm and eaten at 5:05 pm.

I wanted corn on the cob for lunch yesterday.  I cooked up 5 ears to perfection.  Actually, I totally forgot about them while I was at my desk working, until I smelled the smell.  Thankfully, they were perfect.

I had my corn. 

Then I remembered the bacon.  The bacon I bought for dinner, but only needed 3 slices out of the pack of 10 or so.  Hmmm.  BLT!  Yum.

Cooked up the bacon, looked at the recipe for dinner tonight.  It said to cook the meat in the bacon grease.  Yes!  That is what you see above.  Ground turkey in bacon grease with onion and Forward! seasoning from Penzey's.

Suppose I should back up.  Yesterday, a friend and I took a lunch road trip to Penzey's Spice store on Elmwood Avenue.  Who knew I needed $30 worth of spices?  When I started smelling these jars of spices, I realized that my Dollar Store $1 jars just don't cut it.  No wonder I used 1/2 cup of cumin in my taco meat.  It is so old and processed that there is no flavor left.  I went to buy this Forward! spice.  Actually, I had a free coupon for it, with a purchase.

I needed this spice to make Cowboy Beans.  Tom saw it on the cover of the fall catalogue and wouldn't stop talking about it.  You can download a pdf of the Fall 2011 catalogue that has the recipe on page 63.

It looked delicious.


And tasted even better.  I skipped the BLT and ate the beans.  There may not be any left by the time he comes home!


Do SomeTHING is a month long of creativity, project finishing, exploration, and imagination.  What was your THING for today?  Leave your link in the comments for us all to see.

1 comment:

Jeans and a Sweatshirt- said...

Looks yummy! Sounds yummy. I definitely have to make the whole recipe next time. The partial (no meat) one didn't cut it.