Sunday, January 29, 2012

29/366: Santa Fe Chicken

Food photos are not my forte.

Although this appears somewhat edible, it tastes so much better.

I was inspired by this link from Pinterest:



The above dish has more fresh ingredients and was made in the crock pot for 8 hours, neither of which I had.  So, I improvised.

Gluten Free Santa Fe Chicken
8-10 Skinless Chicken Tenders
3 cups of Salsa
1 can black beans
2 cups frozen corn
Shredded Cheddar to top
Rice

I cooked the chicken on the stove top in a skillet with a little orange juice.  I like the acidity of the OJ infused into the chicken.  As that was nearly done, I shredded the chicken in the pan in big chunks.  This also helps it cook faster.  Then I added the salsa and let that cook a bit.  Then I opened up my spice cupboard and started adding:  Cumin (always), onion powder, little garlic powder, Forward Seasoning from Penzeys (a tex mex type seasoning, you could use a chili seasoning), salt and pepper.

Add in the beans and corn and let simmer until you are ready to eat. 

The chicken was super tender, the cheese on top was just the right amount.  My photos are leftovers that I microwaved...just as good, if not better.  See the steam on my camera lens?

Delish!

No comments: