Monday, September 8, 2008

Rock It

Swim 2.4 Miles

Bike 112 Miles

Run 26.2 Miles

That is the Ironman.

And this is my brother, Keith.
The Ironman.

Here is the story. Keith did his first Ironman in Lake Placid last year with his wife Brooke (her second Ironman). We weren't able to go and I said the next one, I am there. Well, time passes, things happen, the money isn't quite there and I didn't think he was going to do the Wisconsin Ironman this year. When I heard that he was doing it (a month ago) I tried to figure out a way to make it there. I didn't tell Keith I was trying to make it work, since I didn't want to disappoint him if it didn't work out. I got lucky on a couple aspects, and my mom and Tom's mom were able to help with the kids while I was gone and Tom was studying/working/schooling.

As Keith and his friends were finishing their dinner at the rented log cabin, Meredith (Accomplice #1) and I stepped in front of the sliding door and gave a little knock. I should have planned earlier to get a photo of Keith's face. I could have, because it didn't change for 15 seconds. His buddy, Ben, looked equally confused. And there was Brooke (Accomplice #2), smiling and giggling. We succeeded. He had no idea I was coming to watch my little brother compete in his second Ironman.

(Mom, you may want to stop here)

Here is what I love about Keith.

I love when he gets so excited and passionate about something he never stops talking. I love that even though he talks a lot, listeners are still engaged. I love that he asks questions. I love that he makes me laugh. I love that he is always interested in knowing peoples' life stories, interests and dreams. I love that all of his friends are amazing, loving, caring people and become my friends, too. I love that he values opinions and beliefs of people. I love that he embraces challenges. I love that he prefers beer to a protein shake after an Ironman. I love that even though he may be disappointed in an outcome, he sees the positive in it. I love that he remembered where we were standing as he finished his 2.4 mile swim and smiled and waved. I love that while he is struggling and persevering, he can look into your eyes and you instantly know he cares and loves you. I love that he shows others the joy and accomplishment in setting and achieving goals. I love that he is an Ironman. I love that he is my brother.

and I love that I am Keith's sister.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

And I love that I'm his wife! We're both pretty lucky! :)

Meredith said...

Carrie - Way to make me cry first thing in the morning!

kay said...

OH CARRIE, that was heartwarming!