Friday, December 14, 2007

Brutini

Trader Joe's used to have a cookie called "Brutini: Li'l Uglies". It is fantastic GF cookie made even better with a hot cup of coffee. Very dry and light, but crunchy. Made with almonds and egg whites. To my surprise, I found a recipe for something very close. Four ingredients - naturally gluten-free. No problem. This is going to be great. I am going to get back into baking GF cookies from scratch.


Not so fast. Blanch 5 1/3 cups of almonds and 'slip' the skin off. Key word: slip.


Almonds, hazelnuts, sugar, egg whites.


Beat eggs till lightly foamy. Key word: lightly. Mix in sugar while beating to form soft peaks. Key words: soft peaks. Transfer to pot on stove and cook for 10 minutes until thick and brown. How brown? Bake 22 minutes until dry. Dry?



Brutini.

This is all I made. I gave up. They didn't have the airiness to them, nor the crunch. Had I left them in any longer, the bottoms would have blackened.

So, next step, batch of 'never-fail-easiest-peanut butter-chocolate chip' cookies. Then, maybe I'll try this again.

Just maybe.


No comments: