Sunday, June 12, 2011

Simplicity

We all want it.  At least I can't think why someone wouldn't want simplicity.

I feel like my life is in such a transitional place that everything seems so complicated.  Some days, I feel as if nothing works, nothing gets done correctly and most things I try to complete fail. 

I read a book.  I know, crazy, me actually reading a real, complete, book.  This was the Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell.  It is the story of two gentlemen that buy an old farm in Sharon Springs NY and the issues that face them in balancing a relationship, farm life, business and their jobs in NY City. 

At one point in the story, Josh and Brent, the gentlemen farmers, are part of a Historic Tour of Homes in their area.  They escape to their garden after hearing rude comments from tourists about how they should improve the home and how it isn't the way it should be and it's so empty.  When in the garden, a sweet woman comes to them and discusses their garden in relation to her own.  She uses the term "Wabi Sabi", which, as she explains, is over simplified, it defines beauty as imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

"It's fine that one strives for beauty, but if one only finds it in perfection, then it will remain forever hidden."  She goes on with, " When you two bought the Beekman [the name of their farm], you began using it.  And with use, comes decay.  And with decay comes work.  And with work comes dedication.  And with dedication comes creativity.  And on and on. You two will never be finished with the Beekman, it will never be perfect, and it will always be falling to pieces around you.  I think what I'm saying, is that the Beekman is now the most beautiful it's ever been."

So that's what I'm shooting for:  Wabi Sabi.  Beauty in imperfections.

No comments: