Saturday, June 4, 2011

Quinoa = Keen wah


I jumped on the Quinoa train.

I've been thinking about making this for some time now.  My neighbor, Sam, has delivered two different samples of her Quinoa salads, both fantastic.

My favorite on line shop for grains and nuts (and even Gummi Bears with no artificial colors) sells washed Quinoa at an affordable price.  This company is fantastic.  Take a look, seriously the best on-line company I have ever purchased from.  I ordered on Wednesday afternoon at 4 pm, received Friday morning.

The benefits of Quinoa are so immense, that everyone needs to try it.  "Because Quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis."  This information can be found at WHFoods.

So, good for you.  And the taste?  FAB!  I cooked it just like rice, but instead of being starchy and flavorless, this has a faint nutty-ness to it.

On to my preparation...

Fried Turkey-Bean Quinoa
1 cup uncooked Quinoa (cook per package directions)
1 small onion
3 tbls butter
15 grape tomatoes, quartered
1 can black beans
10 baby carrots, chopped
2 turkey burger patties, cooked and chopped
Cumin, pepper, salt to taste

Saute onion in butter, add 1/3 of cooked Quinoa and carrots.  Once Quinoa is toasted (10 mins. or so), add remaining ingredients.  I served this warm with some crumbled feta cheese.  It would be good cold, as well.

I went heavy on the cumin, we love cumin.  This is great to add whatever you have in your fridge or pantry.  Next time, I'm thinking sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.

Quinoa would be good in soup, too!

Give it a try!  I highly suggest buying from here, you won't be disappointed.  And these pistachio are truly HUGE!

No comments: